Sometimes, there's a lot to say in a blog post. If you've been around this blog a while, you know that to be the case. Sometimes, you just say Dinner Is Served:
Seriously, nothing's easier than a hearty bowl of braised chickpeas served over rice. It's an easy weeknight meal and makes an amazing leftover lunch. Please, enjoy!
(And if you're a chickpea fan, today's post offers a "bonus"... one of my all-time variations on braised chickpeas in a coconut-curry sauce. It's delish. No picture, though. That one always seems to get eaten before I can snap the shutter ;-)
So, speaking of long blog posts - 'read 'em? Cruise right down to the recipe? Just look at the pretty pictures?
And what's your favorite go-to easy weeknight meal?
Ingredients (serves 3)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red onion and saute 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in chickpeas and water; bring to boil. Cover and place in preheated oven.
Bake 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir in extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and wine.
curried chickpeas in coconut-peanut sauce
Ingredients (3 servings)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup canned, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 - 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
- Juice of half a lime
- Hot cooked rice
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes and next 4 ingredients (through peanut butter). Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice. Serve over rice.